Submit a ticket

How to Apply for a Certificate of Widow/Widower

This e-certificate is the official document that confirms the civil status of Rwandan citizens whose spouse is deceased. The application is processed by local Government authorities at the sector level. This service is provided by the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC). 

The processing time is 1 working day; the service costs Rwf 1,500.


  • Applicants need to log in to the Irembo account. Click here to find out how to create an account on IremboGov or visit the nearest Irembo agent for assistance.

  • Applicants should have a national ID number because this service is not eligible for minors. 

  • Applicants’ civil status should be WIDOW/WIDOWER in the National Identification Agency (NIDA).

  • Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both. 

Follow these simple steps to apply for a certificate for widow/widower:

1. Visit and click on Log In to start applying for this service. 

2. Under Family, click on Certificate for Widow/Widower. 

3. Click on Apply

4. Fill in the Applicant Details and the details will be retrieved and displayed on the right side of the page.

5. Fill in the Processing Details

NOTE: It’s advisable to choose the nearest processing office to easily follow up.

6. Click on Next to proceed.

7. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.

8. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.

NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, and after the Civil Registration Officer of the processing sector has approved it, the applicant will receive an SMS/Email notifying them that the certificate is available and can download it from the IremboGov platform. If the applicant does not receive a notification within three working days after submission, they should contact or visit the sector office. 

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.