The certificate of residence certifies where a Rwandan or foreigner (adult or minor) resides at the moment of application. An applicant who once resided in Rwanda is also eligible for this service. The application is processed by local government authorities at the sector of residence. This service is provided by the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC).
The processing time is 1 working day; the service costs Rwf 1,500.
Applicants need to log in to the Irembo account. Click here to find out how to create an account on IremboGov or visit the nearest Irembo agent for assistance.
Rwandans should have a national ID number or a Citizen Application Number for children.
Foreigners should have a passport number.
Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a certificate of residence:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and click on Log In to start applying for this service.
2. Under Family, click on Certificate of Residence.
3. Choose who you are applying for (Self or Child), and then click on Apply.
4. Fill in the Applicant Details and the details will be retrieved and displayed on the right side of the page.
Self: Rwandan citizens above 16 years should have a national ID; foreigners should have a passport number.
Child: Rwandan citizens below 16 years should have a Citizen Application Number.
5. Fill in the Processing Details.
6. Click on Next to proceed.
7. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
8. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.
NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, and after the Civil Registration Officer of the processing sector has approved it, the applicant will receive an SMS/Email notifying them that the certificate is available and can download it from the IremboGov platform. If the applicant does not receive a notification within three working days after submission, they should contact or visit the sector office.