This service allows Rwandans (adults and minors) to replace their passports only in case of loss, theft, or damage. Applicants should first apply for the certificate of loss via Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) offices and then apply for this service. The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE) issues three types of passports: ordinary, service, and diplomatic passports.
The processing time of this service is 4 working days, and the price depends on the e-passport category plus the penalty of 50% of the initial payment.
Applicants with or without an Irembo account can apply for this service.
Rwandan citizens above 18 years should have a national ID number.
Rwandan citizens below 18 years should have a Citizen Application Number, national ID number, and no document.
Attachments differ depending on the type of passport selected and the “minor category” for applicants below 18 years.
Applicants should have a certificate of loss issued by RIB.
Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Follow these simple steps to apply for an e-passport replacement:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and under Immigration and Emigration, click on the e-Passport Application.
2. Select which Request Type you want; e-Passport replacement, and click Apply.
3. oose who needs this service; whether the applicant is above 18 or below 18, and fill in the Applicant Details.
- If an applicant is above 18, he/she enters their national ID number.
- If an applicant is below 18, he/she enters the Citizen Application Number.
4. Fill in the Passport & Travel Details (including Reason for Replacement) for the applicant.
- The price depends on the e-passport category plus the penalty of 50% of the initial payment.
5. Attach all the required documents in the right format and size.
6. Click on Next to process.
7. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
8. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.
NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, the applicant receives a feedback notification from the DGIE informing them when to take the biometrics tests at the DGIE office or Rwandan Embassy.