This service allows all Rwandans (adults and minors) with a national ID to apply for an E-passport to facilitate their travels outside the country. The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE) issues three types of passports: ordinary, service, and diplomatic passports.
E-passport processing time is 4 days and the price depends on the passport type.
- Applicants with or without an Irembo account can apply for this service.
- Rwandan citizens above 18 years should have a national ID number.
NOTE: Diaspora applicants without a National Population Registry (NPR) number are advised to first apply for a national ID. Click here to know how to apply for a national ID as a diaspora.
- Rwandan citizens below 18 years should have a Citizen Application Number.
- Attachments differ depending on the type of passport selected and the “minor category” for applicants below 18 years. Click here for more information.
- Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Follow these simple steps to apply for an e-Passport:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and under Immigration and Emigration, click on e-Passport Application.2. Select the Request Type you want; e-Passport Application, and click on Apply.
3. Choose who needs this service; whether the applicant is above 18 or below 18.
If an applicant is above 18, he/she enters their national ID.
If an applicant is below 18, he/she enters the Citizen Application Number.
4. Fill in the Applicant Details, by clicking in the blank space to input the required details (*: means mandatory information).
5. Fill in the Passport & Travel Details for the applicant.
6. Attach all the required documents in the right format and size.
7. Click on Next to proceed.
8. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
9. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, the applicant receives a feedback notification from the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration informing them when to take the biometric tests at the DGIE office or a Rwandan embassy.