How to Apply for an E-passport Application
This service allows all Rwandans (adults and minors) to apply for an E-passport to facilitate their travels outside the country. The Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE) issues three types of passports: Ordinary, Service, and Diplomatic passports.
E-passport processing time is 4 working days and the price depends on the passport type as shown below.
Applicants with or without an Irembo account can apply for this service.
Adult citizens should have a national ID number.
Minors between 16 years and 18 years should have a national ID number.
Minors below 16 years should have the Citizen Application Number.
Minors below 16 years without the child application number can still apply for the service.
Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Attachments should fulfill the following:
Scanned in their appropriate formats.
Copy of National ID has to be 500kb, format pdf.
Passport photo has to be 200kb, format jpg.
Signature has to be 50kb, format jpg.
Other certificates/letters have to be 500kb and pdf format only.
Follow these simple steps to apply for an e-Passport:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and under Immigration and Emigration, click on e-Passport Application.
2. Select the Request Type you want; e-Passport Application, and click on Apply.
3. Choose who needs this service; whether the applicant is above 18 or below 18.
If an applicant is above 18, he/she enters their national ID.
If an applicant is below 18, he/she enters the Citizen Application Number.
If the applicant is below 18 and doesn’t have a Citizen Application Number he/she enters their information as well as their guardian’s information.
4. Fill in the Applicant Details, by clicking in the blank space to input the required details (*: means mandatory information).
5. Fill in the Passport & Travel Details for the applicant.
6. Attach all the required documents in the right format and size.
7. Click on Next to proceed.
8. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
9. A billing Number/ID (88…) will be generated for payment, Click Pay.
10. Applicants choose the mode of payment: offline (MTN, Airtel, or BK) or online (Visa or MasterCard). For more information about payment modes, click here.
NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, the applicant receives a feedback notification from the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration informing them when to take the biometric tests at the DGIE office or a Rwandan embassy.