The marriage certificate is an official document that identifies a legally married couple. The application is submitted to local government authorities at the sector level where the marriage was registered, for processing. This service is provided by the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC).
The processing time for a marriage certificate is 1 working day; the service costs Rwf 500.
Every Rwandan citizen applying for this service should have a national ID number; their spouse should have either a national ID number (Rwandans) or a passport number (Foreigners).
Applicants should have both a valid phone number and/or email address.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a marriage certificate:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and click on Log In to start applying for this service.
3. Choose which marriage service you want; "Marriage Certificate” and click on Apply.
4. Fill in the Applicant Details; they will be retrieved and displayed on the right side of the page.
5. Fill in the Spouse Details and Legal Marriage Details.
6. Fill in the Processing Details (Processing Office & Reason for Request).
It’s advisable to choose the nearest processing office to easily follow up.
7. Click on Next to proceed.
8. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
9. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.
NOTE: After applying and paying successfully via IremboGov, and after the Civil Registration Officer of the processing sector has approved it, the applicant receives an SMS/Email notifying them that the certificate is available and can download it from the IremboGov platform.