Submit a ticket

Frequently Asked Questions About Marriage Declaration

This service allows citizens and foreigners residing in Rwanda to register for a legal marriage. Engaged couples register to be married 21 days before the legal marriage takes place. If there are no objections, the couple marries and sector officials provide a Marriage Record.

The following are the most frequently asked questions about Marriage Registration:

  1. Do I need an IremboGov account to apply for and pay for my Marriage declaration?

Applicants need an account on IremboGov to apply for this service or visit the nearest Irembo agent for assistance.

  1. How do I create an Irembo account?

To create an Irembo account, click here.

  1. How much do I pay for a marriage declaration?

The price is free if you choose Thursdays and when you choose a special day the price will depend on the sector’s price structure. 

  1. At what age am I eligible to get married?

According to the law, you are eligible to marry at the age of 21 years and above. 

  1. Which civil status is eligible for a marriage declaration?

You are eligible to apply for this service when you are registered in NIDA as single, divorced, widow or widower. 

  1. Can two foreigners with passports apply for marriage declarations?

No, one of the two foreigners should have a residence permit (Rwandan foreigner’s ID). 

  1. Can two refugees with passports apply for marriage declarations? 

No, one of the two refugees should have a Rwandan refugee ID

  1. Am I eligible to choose any preferred sector for a marriage declaration? 

No, the chosen sector of marriage must be the sector of residence or domicile for one of the applicants.

  1. Can I choose any date for the marriage declaration?

Yes, as long as the date of marriage is at least 23 days before the application is made.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.