The service allows Rwandans, refugees, and foreigners living in Rwanda to register for legal marriage. Couples register 21 days before they get married. In the absence of any constraints, the marriage is performed, and the sector officials issue a marriage record. This service is provided by the Ministry of Local Government (MINALOC).
The processing time for this service is 1 working day; the price is not applicable.
The applicant needs to log in to the Irembo account. Click here to find out how to create an account on IremboGov or visit the nearest Irembo agent for assistance.
The couple must be at least 21 years of age and above to apply for a marriage declaration.
One of the applicants or both should be:
A Rwandan citizen with a Rwandan national ID
A legally registered refugee with a Rwandan refugee ID
A foreigner with a Rwandan foreign ID
NOTE: Couples without Rwandan national ID, Rwandan foreign ID, or Rwandan refugee ID are not eligible for this service.
The couple’s civil statuses should be registered in the National Identification Agency (NIDA) as SINGLE, DIVORCED, or WIDOWED.
The couple should be registered as ALIVE in NIDA.
Required attachments are the couple’s birth certificates. Other conditional attachments depend on the couple’s civil statuses and identification documents.
The place of marriage declaration for the applicant should be the couple’s place of residence or place of domicile.
Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Follow these simple steps of how to apply for a marriage declaration:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and click on Log In to start applying for this service.
2. Under Family, click on Marriage Services.
3. Choose which marriage service you want; “Marriage Declaration” and click on Apply.
4. Enter the Marriage Details. The date of the marriage must be at least 23 days from today.
5. Fill in the Wife’s and Husband’s Details and the details will be retrieved and displayed on the right side of the page.
6. Attach the required documents in PDF format. Attachments are conditional and depend on the wife’s and husband’s civil statuses.
7. Click on Next to proceed.
8. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click Submit.
9. An application number will be generated to follow up on the application status.
NOTE: Once the application is sent to the Civil Registration Officer (CRO) of the selected Sector office, the applicant receives an SMS notifying them of the approval and the specific date of when to appear before the CRO for physical verification of supporting documents or notifying them about any changes about the application.