This service allows users to renew their expired visa. Only foreigners living and working in the country can apply for this service. The visa application is received and processed by the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE) office.
A visa’s processing time is 7 days and the price depends on the type of visa.
No Irembo account is required to apply for this service
Applicant should have a Nationality and Document Type
Applicant should know the Visa Type they are applying for
Attachments differ depending on the “Visa Type.” Common attachments are the Application letter, Copy of passport biodata page, and Photo with white background.
List of Visa Classes that can be extended:
SUB CLASS V1 (Holiday) and SUB CLASS V2 (Family Visit): are valid for 30 days on a single entry and 90 days for multiple entries together
SUB CLASS V3-2 (Accredited Diplomat): is valid for 2 years
SUBCLASS V4 (Job Search): is valid for 90 days
SUB CLASS V6 (Prospective Investor, Entrepreneur, or Trader): is valid for 90 days
SUBCLASS V7 (Medical Treatment): is valid for 90 days
SUBCLASS V9 (Itinerant Business): is valid from 2-10 years
SUB CLASS V12 (Reciprocity): is valid for 10 years and is renewable
SUBCLASS V10 (Bridging Visa): validity that’s not exceeding 90 days may be extended in exceptional circumstances
Extension of a visa should be applied while the initial visa is still valid
A grace period of 5 days after a visa has expired is allowed for a person to either depart the country or renew their visa without a penalty; otherwise, the person will be subjected to a penalty and a visa extension may be denied.
To avoid penalties, the applicant should apply/renew the visa in time before the expiration of the current visa. The penalty fee is Rwf 50,000 for a delay of 6 to 15 days. Article 58 of the Ministerial Order establishing procedures and regulations categorizes other penalties from 16 days to 9 months and above.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a visa renewal:
Visit IremboGov platform: www.irembo.gov.rw and under Immigration and Emigration, click on
Visa Application. 2. Choose “Renew Visa” under the Request Type and Click on Apply.
3. Enter the Applicant details (Nationality, Document Type, the currency to pay, and the Visa Type). Payment for this service depends on the Visa Type.
4. Enter the Demographic details (Surname, Other names, Date of birth, Profession, Occupation, Gender, Civil status, Father’s names, Mother’s names, Country of birth, City of birth, Current country, Current address, Nationality and Another nationality if any).
5. Enter the Request and Travel Details (Residence details, Document number, Issue Date, Expiry Date, and Contact details). The Collection Office is automatically set depending on the applicant’s residence details. 6. Attach all the required documents in the right format and size.
7. Click on Next to proceed. 8. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click Submit.
9. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for paying. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money or Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using Visa Card or MasterCard. NOTE: After applying and successfully paying via IremboGov, the Applicant receives a status update notification from the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration.