The CEPGL travel document is issued to a Rwandan or a foreigner legally residing in Rwanda, allowing him/her to travel to member states of the Economic Community of the Great Lakes Countries, and in accordance with the existing agreements signed among these countries namely Burundi, and The Democratic Republic of Congo. The service is provided by the Directorate General of Immigration and Emigration (DGIE) office.
The validity of this document for Rwandan nationals is 6 months, and 3 months for foreign expatriate residents in Rwanda. The processing time is 1 day and the price is USD 10 or its equivalence in Rwandan francs.
No Irembo account is required to apply for this service.
Rwandan citizens should have a national ID number.
Foreigners should have a passport number.
Applicants should have a valid phone number, email address, or both.
Follow these simple steps to apply for a CEPGL Travel Document:
1. Visit www.irembo.gov.rw and under Immigration and Emigration, click on the CEPGL Travel Document.
2. Click on Apply.
3. Fill in the Applicant Details (Rwandan or Foreigner) and the details will be retrieved and displayed on the right side of the page.
4. Click on Next to proceed.
5. Verify that the information is true, enter a phone number and/or email address, check the verification box, and click on Submit.
6. A billing number/ID (99….) will be generated for payment. Applicants can pay using MTN Mobile Money, Airtel Money, BK App, BK Branches, BK Agents, or pay online using VISA or MasterCard.
NOTE: After applying and successfully paying via IremboGov, the applicant receives a feedback notification from the DGIE office informing them to visit their office for further instructions about their application.